Friday, June 3, 2011

Mr. Terry Said by Jose Madrigal



Mr.Terry said,
Go home and write
a page tonight.
Let your self inspire
So we can admire
Is it that simple?
I am nineteen, beaner, born in a small town in Mexico
I studied there, Then worked, and now
I am here in this High School in the big city.
The steps from the third floor leads you down
 to the main entrance, than I walk to  twenty eight ave
and ride my car to go home and sleep.
It’s difficult for me to write this paper not knowing the language well.
I don’t come from where you come, I wasn’t raise in an American school.
But now I am here.
All I did before was work. I never took the time to write.
But here I am thinking, writing and trying to apply my best.
I want  you to be impressed.
It’s not going to be as if I were white.
I just want to make it right.
Adjusting to this country is really hard
It’s just my self here, alone.
Sometimes I just go to the backyard
to think how can I be on my own.

(in response to Theme From English B by Langston Hughes)

No comments:

Post a Comment